RAR - What's new in the latest version
1. We express our gratitude to Francesco Indrio
<naradamoon> for designing all new WinRAR graphics.
2. Added support of Unicode in file names. It may help to avoid
many problems related with national and some special characters
in archived file names. The complete support of Unicode
is available only for Windows NT and Windows 2000 users,
but this feature still provides some benefits for
3. Dialogs "Info", "SFX", "Comment", "Lock" and "Protect" are
combined to a single dialog, so you may change several
archive parameters at once.
4. "Advanced SFX options" button added to SFX dialog allows
to set additional parameters of SFX module such as extraction
path, title, window text others.
a) toolbar buttons are reordered;
b) "Add" button is now available also inside of archives;
c) "Extract" and "Lock" are not present on the toolbar
by default, but you may use "Extract To" and
"Info/Options/Lock archive" instead. On the other hand
it is possible to enable these buttons using a new
"Select buttons..." command in "Settings/General" dialog;
d) "Extract To" command now has the same Alt-E keyboard
shortcut both inside and outside of archives.
Shortcut of the "Extract" command is changed to "Alt-W".
6. Changes in the "Archive name and parameters" dialog:
a) "General/Lock archive" option - lock a created or
b) "Advanced/Pause after each volume" option - always ask
confirmation before creating next volume regardless
of disk type;
c) "Advanced/Recovery record" - specify the size of the recovery
record as a percentage of the total archive size;
d) "SFX options" - set parameters of the created SFX archive;
e) "Files to add" and "Files to exclude" had been moved from
"Advanced" to the new "Files" sheet;
f) "Files/File paths" - select a method of storing file paths;
g) "Put each file to separate archive" - put each selected file
in the current folder and all files in selected subfolders to
separate archives, each archive contains only one file.
7. "History" menu is removed. The names of a few recently opened
archives are added to the end of "Files" menu.
8. The new "Import/Export" submenu in "Settings" menu includes
two commands allowing to export WinRAR settings to Settings.reg
file and import them later. It may be useful if you wish to
restore WinRAR settings after re-installing Windows or if is
needed to move them to another computer. Settings.reg file is
created in the same folder as WinRAR.exe.
9. "Settings/General" dialog:
a) "High priority" option is removed as it usually
deteriorated overall system performance without any real
increase of WinRAR performance. But "Low priority" option
is present and it can be useful if you wish to give more
processor time to other tasks.
b) New "Keep archives history" option allows to disable
storing the names of recently opened archives, for example,
for security reasons.
c) "Always on top" option places WinRAR window above all
other programs. You may wish to set it if you frequently
use WinRAR as a drag and drop target.
d) Use "Toobar/Select buttons..." to customize WinRAR buttons.
10. "Settings/Compression" dialog:
a) "Volume options" are removed. Now WinRAR always creates
independent volumes, because they minimize data losses
in case of archive damage.
Compression profiles introduced in the previous version
provide better flexibility than the removed "Always put
recovery record" option. You may specify all required
settings in a separate profile intended for volumes.
b) "Default folder for extracted files" is moved to this dialog.
Its behaviour is changed a bit, now it is used both in
"Extract To" and "Extract" commands as the base part of
the destination path. The complete path is constructed
by appending an archive name to the default folder.
"Settings/Extraction" dialog is removed.
11. New options in the "Settings/File list" dialog:
a) "Show archives first" - display archive names above all
other files in the file list window;
b) "Merge volumes contents" - when you open the first volume,
read and display contents of all volumes available in the same
folder as the first volume.
Both options are enabled by default.
12. "Settings/Viewer" dialog:
a) "Reuse existing window" option tells WinRAR to keep
only one internal viewer window.
13. Changes in the GUI SFX module script language:
a) New "License" command displays a license text before
b) New "Presetup" command runs the specified program before
c) New "ExtSign" command informs SFX that additional data
in free format may be present at the end of archive;
d) script may include more than one Setup command;
e) New optional syntax of "Text" command.
"Text" and "License" commands now support some HTML tags;
f) "Silent" command may have an optional parameter.
14. SFX module displays the total processed progress bar while
15. Archive information dialog:
a) the authenticity information is displayed in a separate
window, which can be scrolled to view very long AV strings;
b) this dialog now contains the size of maximum continuous damaged
area, which still can be repaired using the recovery record
contained in the archive. This number is for the best case,
a real value can be smaller depending on the type of damage.
16. Command 's-' allows to remove SFX module from SFX archive.
17. Switch '-ag' supports two new format parameters:
a) 'W' - a number of the current week in a year;
b) 'A' - a number of the current day in a week.
Weeks start with Monday.
18. New switch '-k' - lock archive.
19. New switch '-vp' - pause after each volume.
20. You may specify the recovery record size as a percentage of the
total archive size in 'rr' command and '-rr' switch. For
21. New -ep2 switch - store full file paths when archiving.
22. You may break the archiving operation directly from
the "Diagnostic messages" dialog using "Break operation" button.
23. Switches -inul and -y can be used in WinRAR command line
to disable error messages.
24. Switch -sv is removed, now RAR and WinRAR by default create
independent volumes. You may override it using the new -sd
switch, but note that it reduces your chances to restore
a part of data in case of archive damage.
25. In case of write error WinRAR asks for "Retry/Abort"
confirmation instead of immediate aborting as before, so a user
has a possibility to free some space on the destination disk.
26. The following keyboard shortcuts are now supported by WinRAR:
a) F2 - rename a file under the cursor. It is supported
only outside archives;
b) F4 - open the address list.
27. RCVT archive converter is removed from WinRAR distributive.
It is available in "RAR extras" section of www.rarsoft.com.
28. Note to users willing to translate WinRAR to their native
language: please look at rarlng.rar archive in "RAR extras"
section of www.rarsoft.com. Now it is possible to localize
WinRAR very easily simply by editing plain text files.
1. Corrected a few bugs including the following Windows 2000
a) "New" command of Explorer context menu created zero length
archives, which cannot be opened by WinRAR;
b) archiving a large number of files (more than 300-400)
using context menu did not work.
1. Both compression and speed have been improved for RAR archives.
My thanks to Alexander Khoroshev, who, once again, provided
invaluable assistance to improve this new version.
2. In previous versions it was necessary to have external archivers
to unpack CAB, ARJ and LZH files. These are now supported internally
by WinRAR, you no longer need to have other programs to extract
from these archives.
3. Internal (extraction only) support has been added for TAR,
GZ, ACE and UUE archives.
4. RAR and WinRAR are now able to store NTFS data streams.
It is especially important under Windows 2000, which uses
streams to keep some file dependent information such as
Use switch -os to enable the storing of streams from
the command line or set the option "Save file streams"
in the "Archive name and parameters" dialog.
This feature is supported only for RAR archives.
5. "Archive name and parameters" dialog has been split into four
sections: general options, advanced options, backup options
and archive comment. Now it is possible to set archive password
or comment directly from this dialog.
6. You may save compression options to compression profiles
to quickly restore them later, so you may create profiles
for your typical archiving operations. Read the topic
"Compression profiles" in the "Configuration settings" chapter
for detailed information.
7. RAR and WinRAR are now able to store NTFS file owner, group, access
control and audit information under Windows NT. Note: you need to
have the necessary privileges in order to use this facility.
Use switch -ow to enable the storing and extraction of this
information from the command line or set the option "Save security
data" in the "Archive name and parameters" dialog.
This feature is supported for both RAR and ZIP archives.
8. Large disk folders are now read significantly faster in WinRAR.
9. Total progress bar is displayed when testing or extracting
from a single RAR archive (except volumes) or group of archives.
10. New command line switches -to<time> and -tn<time> allow to
process files older or newer than specified time. This feature
is also available in the "Backup options" of the "Archive name
and parameters" dialog.
11. New switch -ibck allows to run WinRAR minimized to tray, when
archiving or extracting files from the command line.
12. Switch -rr and command RR are not limited to 8 recovery sectors.
Now the recovery record may contain up to 4096 sectors.
If the sectors number is not specified, the size of the recovery
information is about 1.2% of the total archive size, this usually
allows the recovery of up to 0.7% of continuously damaged data
of the total archive size.
Note that recovery records larger than 8 sectors cannot be used
by previous RAR versions.
13. "Convert to SFX" command is now supported also for ZIP archives
which are already in SFX format. This can be useful, if you wish
to replace a particular SFX module.
14. "Open archive" item is added to "Files" menu.
15. Folder time stamps are restored, when unpacking an archive
under Windows NT.
16. The default value of dictionary size is changed to 1024KB.
17. It is possible to specify the path to put a repaired archive
18. Console RAR now supports wildcards in the archive name
also in 'RR' command.
19. New switch -idp for console RAR disables displaying of
the percentage indicator. May be useful when redirecting RAR output
to a file.